Monday, August 25, 2008

It is Slipping Away

I have been thinking alot about my time lately. I see my childhood quickly becoming a mere memory, and feel the pangs of adulthood looming ever closer. With every passing day I find myself aquiring more responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love the independence that comes with growing. I love the ability to develop into my own person. I love the challange of each new day. I do, however, find myself mourning the day when I ran down the hall with my sisters caring only about being the first one to see what Santa brought. Where does that time go? When did I start spending a total of 2 months a year at my house? When did I start having to schedule time to meet with my Daddy? Why does growing up hurt so much?



On a more productive note, my devotion today was about time, and helped me cope with this idea of time. Jonathan Edwards writes this in his sermon "The Preciousness of Time"



"How much may be done in a year! How much good is there opportunity to do in such a space of time! How much service may persons do for God, and how much for their own souls, if to their utmost they imporove it!"



While Edwards wrote these words years ago, they still ring true today. I waste so much time in a day, time that could be spent giving, helping, listening, loving. Once time is gone it is gone. I can not have it back. All I am trying to say is this: I want to make the most of EVERY moment. Whether it is a week spent serving at camp or thirty minuets spent dining in Fountain, I want every second to be productive in some way. Lofty goal, I know.

No comments: