Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Peace That Transcends All Understanding

It has been a long while since I have written. The world as I view it has changed one way, moved another, been shaken around, and here I am. So much can happen in so little time, and while I will not go into the details of what "so much" may be, I will go into the details of a few verses that have been written on a card that I have been carrying with me. These verses are a constant reminder of the truth that Christ has called me to.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillippians 4:4-7
Wow, what a command. Rejoice. Even in those moments we don't understand, those moments when the tears seem to fall. Rejoice. Bring them to God. Bring them to God with thanksgiving, even. His thoughts, his plans, his will is SO much greater than anything we can imagine, and in that we can rejoice and thank him. But we, but I get so wrapped up in my current situation. I can only feel the moment, the second of life that my heart beats within, and because of this fact that heartbeat tends to quicken, the peace of God is the last thing on my mind, and my soul becomes one of anxiousness and a lack of trust.

But then I simply reach in my pocket, feel that index card (that is now folded, crinkly, tear stained, coffee spilled, and almost falling apart) and I remember the living words of God. Rejoice, present your requests,and take hold of the peace that transcends all understanding. What a great God we serve.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

kayla. i love this. this is definitely encouraging...rejoicing always. breakfast friday?
kerri

Kerri said...

kayla i love this! and i love you. sometimes i forget to rejoice at all times, thanks for the reminder! breakfast friday?